This light and easy to follow recipe is tasty and convincing way to get you and your family on the right track towards incorporating more healthy vegetables into your day. To take advantage of the summer season, substitute any vegetables with your family and friends’ seasonal favorites! For busy moms and dads who want to prepare lasagna ahead of time, simply cover and refrigerate after layering the noodles with veggies, ricotta and sauce.
Ingredients (Makes 6 servings)
8 ripe plum tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic
10 leaves of basil + 1/4 cup chopped
2 cups skim milk ricotta
2 tbsp tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
3/4 cup chopped red onions
2 large zucchini, sliced thinly on the diagonal
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup frozen spinach
4.5 oz (half a package) no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a rectangular baking dish with 1/2 tsp olive oil.
- In a food processor, combine tomatoes, garlic, 10 leaves of basil and salt & pepper. Process until pureed, taste for seasoning and set aside.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions and mushrooms with 1 tbsp olive oil for ~5 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta,remaining olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.
- Arrange layers of lasagna by first coating bottom of the baking dish with a layer of the tomato sauce. Then continue to layer noodles. Top noodles with more tomato sauce, ricotta mixture and 1/2 the zucchini, kale and basil.
- Repeat layer once again and then spread remaining tomato mixture over noodles; finish the top with any remaining sauce and ricotta.
- Cover and bake with foil for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
- Garnish with additional basil or other herbs you like.