- Choosing healthy ingredients is the first step to turning grilled cheese into a sandwich that’s good for you
Healthy grilled cheese, say what!? Recipe adjustments like using olive oil rather than butter can help turn the classic grilled cheese into a healthier meal. You can add in tomatoes or any other seasonal vegetables, or protein and herbs you like.
Ingredients (Makes 1 sandwich)
2 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
2 slices high-fiber, whole-wheat bread
1-2 slices of your favorite skim or fat-free cheese, here we’re using fresh buffalo mozzarella
1/4 red cabbage, sliced
1/2 cup fresh spinach (or 1/4 cup of frozen spinach)
1/2 roasted sweet potato
1 quarter of an avocado, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
fresh basil leaves
1/2 tsp of salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Slice sweet potato length-wise and roast for 40 minutes. Once cool, scoop out sweet potato and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil and add garlic. Lightly sauté spinach and red cabbage until it it slightly wilted. Add 1/4 tsp salt.
4. After transferring the vegetables onto a plate, you can use the same pan to heat 1 tsp olive oil over low heat.
5. Next, arrange the mozzarella* slices on one slice of bread. Place both slices of bread in the pan, facing up . Season the cheese with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Cover and cook until bread is toasted brown and cheese has started to melt.
6. Remove the grilled bread from the pan. On the slice of bread with cheese, add cabbage, spinach, sweet potatoes, avocado and basil. Close the sandwich with the other slice of grilled bread. Serve immediately.