Keep the spirit of the holidays alive while making traditional recipes a bit healthier!
Each of these low-fat cookies has 50 calories, 0.5g fat, 12g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 1g protein, and 4g sugar. Yield: 30-36 cookies.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup honey
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
⅓ cup dark molasses
1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1½ cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, honey, and applesauce until smooth.
- Add the egg and molasses, mixing well.
- In another large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and spices. Add to sugar and molasses mixture, stirring well.
- Divide the dough into two flat balls; cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously dust the surface of your working area with flour before rolling out the dough. Work with one ball of dough at a time, keeping the other portion refrigerated. Roll out the dough to ¼- to ⅛-inch thickness; sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough if it’s sticky. Cut the gingerbread with cookie cutters of your choice.
- Place the cookies 1 to 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.