Last weekend my family and I took to Cooking Light’s Global Kitchen Cookbook for some recipe ideas. We chose the recipe for West Indian Snapper and Uruguayan Bean Salad and were delighted with the final results! Take a look at the recipes below:
West Indian Grilled Snapper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried will suffice)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet or Habanero peppers, minced
- 4 (6oz) red snapper
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Scotch bonnet or Habanero peppers, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- cooking spray (we like to use canola oil spray)
- lime wedges (optional)
- Place the first 6 ingredients (lime juice, salt, thyme, black pepper, garlic, and Scotch bonnet/habanero peppers) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Combine the blended marinade with the fish in a zip-top plastic bag and seal. Marinate in the fridge for 2-4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat.
- Place remaining ingredients (from cilantro to shallot) in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Remove fish from marinade and place on cooking-spray coated, preheated grill. Grill for 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes when scored with a fork.
- Optional: serve with caper sauce and lime juice.
Uruguayan Bean Salad
- 3 cups canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato, chopped and seeded
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl, mix until combined. Serve and enjoy!
These recipes were adapted from Cooking Light’s Global Kitchen Cookbook.